Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Happiness Factor

July 20

What do I think about judging the quality of one's life according to a happiness factor instead of an economic one?
Well, it’s long overdue! Some of us remember the blatant greed and consumerism of the flashy, trashy eighties. That decade sure showed me what I wanted to grow away from. I’m thankful I got to see how wonderful money made people look and act, but how ugly and vacant society actually was. It was during this time that I had to first decide what I wanted - to be like ”them,” or to be me.
It may look grim out there, when we wear our grim-glasses (aka TV), but the Universe, as I believe, is “unfolding as it should.” This path humanity is on has many issues that need to be addressed, many imbalances to correct, many mistakes that need to be rectified. Seeing the interconnection of it all and living an interconnected life will allow us to begin the healing for the Earth. But first we must heal our spirits.
Part of healing my spirit meant never working more than X amount of hours at a job. I knew I could not be at my best, could not be supportive, could not have enough energy, enough love to share if I overloaded my schedule with too many work hours. Of course that meant less money, as it always does. I had seen what money mixed with poor choices had done to so many young adults in the ‘80s. I felt I could be okay with less. I would just structure life a bit differently. From then on, I have been free of the self-imposed pressure to be someone/something I am not. I am happier for it.
Does anyone want to be married to their job or married to their life? Who has the capacity to love you? A career cannot love you, only you can fill yourself with love. Choosing to downsize from being owned by things open us up to so many valuable sources of joy and growth.
So if I had to judge my life according to a happiness factor rather than an economic factor, I would say I am relatively rich. I have so much in my life that I appreciate, that I can share love with, that enriches my idea of who I think I am. Would I trade my riches for material wealth? As Anais Nin said, "If I were rich, I would not be rich very long."

No comments:

Post a Comment