Saturday, October 1, 2011

Helen Keller

A favorite excerpt from Meditations from the Mat, Daily Reflections on the Path of Yoga written by Rolf Gates and Katrina Kenison:

“I thank God for my handicaps, for through them I have found myself, my work, and my God.”
- Helen Keller, Page 196

I was raised untraditionally and I was given the opportunity to make nearly all of my own choices from a very young age. I learned that my choices reflected who I was and I had a responsibility to myself and to everyone I encountered. I was never handed a life plan and I was never expected to do anything other than listen to my heart. Years later, in early adulthood, I regretted the fact that I was given so little structure in life. But that’s what enabled me to freely become me. Helen Keller found peace with her circumstances and eventually flourished as a teacher and human. From whatever backgrounds we come from, we can choose to accept the past and grow from there. God dances within us when we have peace with what and who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment